Friday, October 1, 2010

Top 5 Roleplaying Games

So because I'm knee-deep in a Vampire: the Requiem campaign and loving every minute of it, I thought I'd begin the first part of a five part series on my favorite roleplaying games. I will publish one post a day detailing a favorite roleplaying game from my top 5 favorites.

Here's some caveats to the list: First, I will specify no editions of the roleplaying games. That is to say, I wont put D&D4 at one point in the list and AD&D in another. This is because I believe that any roleplaying edition has enough elements of any of its other editions so as to make this redundant. Also, a virtue of a game is its ability to withstand the test of time. For example, Monopoly (I know it's a boardgame) does not stand the test of time no matter which way you look at it, and is only playable during the Great Depression when people had nothing better to do.

Secondly, this list will suffer from the same deficiencies that other lists of its ilk do, and that is the fallacy of favoritism. While lists, by their very nature are a ranking of favorites in some regard, this list isn't to say that while I may place one RPG above another. I toyed with the idea of making a countdown list, but found that rankings present a plethora of problems that I just want to avoid. Also, it's like picking your favorite child. This is a list of my top 5 favorite roleplaying games of all time in no particular order. This is purely my choice, and preference, and in doing so I will present aspects of a roleplaying game I like and don't like. That will be this list's benefit to you, the reader, as opposed to being just a five-day rant about which games are cool.

So proceed to the next post to begin the list.

+++END TRANSMISSION+++

No comments: