Thursday, March 15, 2012

Crappenin' Is What's Happenin'

So today I began priming some figures. I began by priming my viking SAGA figures from Gripping Beast in black, and it worked as it usually does. Oh! Did I mention that it was raining here in Vancouver? (when is it not, amirite?) Then I decided that I'd prime some Space Wolves because they're the vikings of the future. I knew I was going to use the Army Painter Wolf Grey spray, so I primed them white using the P3 primer (mostly so I can use it up and switch back to Citadel primer). Then after a couple hours I hit them with the Army Painter spray.

Woof.

I guess I got cocky, or maybe it was because it was the first time that can was used, or maybe it was the rain, but my models came back in looking like they were Space Wolf-sized globs. I don't know what to say. I'm hesitant to blame myself, on account of the fact that I've been priming figures for 16 years, and know a thing or two about how to do that. I also doubt it was the weather, because I've been priming figures in Vancouver for 15 of those 16 years (hell... One year I even primed in Germany, in an area with similar climate).

Needless to say, I was pretty choked.

I threw the models out, then had to go into the trash to get them when I realized that after spending $45CDN on a box of Space Wolves it couldn't hurt to try and strip them. Normally I wouldn't bother stripping plastic models, as I'm worried about the stripper (no, not your mom) eating away at the material, but after griping about this fact to my friends at our SAGA game tonight, they suggested I use Simple Green®. I remember stripping plastic models back in the '90s and it turned out terribly. Therefore I never did it until now (I never had a primer problem since the '90s either... Well, unless you count the one (and only) time I used Armory primer... Don't use Armory primers). Tomorrow I'll go get some Simple Green® and attempt to strip the figures. After which I will prime them with Citadel's white primer, and give them a lighter coat of the Army Painter spray from way, way, further away.

I'll let you all know how that goes down.

In other news, I tried SAGA out for the first time tonight. Shamefully, my models were not painted, but they will be. Oh, and I won the game, so that's neat. Tomorrow I plan on posting a write-up (review) on the game, but I can tell you right now... It's gonna be a good one!

Alright, that's about it. See you folks tomorrow night!

+++END TRANSMISSION+++

No comments: