Thursday, January 17, 2013

And So It Begins

The dread legions of Chaos emerge from the cloying mists and begin their inexorable march down through Kislev and into the heart of the Empire.

Knowing what you know about the speed and frequency at which I paint, you (my faithful audience) are well within your rights to speculate upon which specific madness has gripped me. Is it the dreaded mind funk; A condition that inflates one's ego to mammoth proportions? Or is it the horrid Pfeilmann's headclamp, which renders the sufferer immune to reality?

Either way I'm attempting to paint 59 models by March 10th (and, in a couple cases, I use the term model somewhat lightly considering that two of those "models" are a Daemon Prince and a Chaos Warshrine).

The reason for this insanity is twofold:

1) I have a 2999pt. Warhammer tournament I've signed up for on March 10th; for that I need to paint 5 Chaos Knights, 32 Chaos Warriors, 10 Marauders, 10 Chaos Warhounds, a Chaos Warshrine, and a Daemon Prince (the old Greater Daemon of Slaanesh, now used as his/her lesser form).

2) A couple of friends and I are undertaking a painting challenge that entails each of us to paint 50 models faster than the other throughout the month of February. I was originally going to put my 56 High Elf Lothern Seaguard up for this challenge, but in a moment of lucidity (must be Pfeilmann's headclamp after all. No lucid moments occur to an unfortunate soul in the grips of a mind funk), I decided that it might be tantamount to hubris to attempt to paint 115 models by March 10th.

So this post is the momentous one that not only begins my Warhammer tournament journal, but also begins the preparatory stages for the paint contest (the contest will have me painting the Chaos Warriors, the Marauders, and the Warhounds. Everything else will have to be finished either before and/or after the contest). Keep your diseased eyes glued to this website for more information in the coming weeks regarding some army building articles, some battle reports from test games, and blurry cellphone pictures of my mound of plastic and pewter.

May the titillating caress of Slaanesh keep you in rapturous ecstasy.

+++END TRANSMISSION+++

P.S. It appears this madness has gripped me just in time (oh, Slaanesh, you devious dog, you!) as the new Warriors of Chaos are beginning to leak through the cracked tubes of the Internet.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Hmmm... you should try out an airbrush (I've got one you can borrow for a session or two). I'm not quite capable of beautiful highlights and shading with it yet, but I can bomb through basecoats like nobody's business. Throw in the wondrous consistency of the new GW washes, and you could probably do up rank and file pretty darn quick.

I've got an article I wrote up some time ago regarding speed painting around here somewhere... I'll try and post it to my blog as soon as I find it. I won't stoop to the dreaded "dip", but I used to be able to churn out some very respectable painted armies in a relatively short amount of time.